Christmas Update

Community

The Parents’ Association held the annual Christmas Fayre, which was, once again, a tremendous success; £3,580.00 was raised. A huge thank you to everyone who organised and supported the event, whether here to help on the day, before or afterwards. Whatever you did to assist, it is greatly appreciated and will benefit the children within Parkland.

The choir have been visiting people and venues in the community, spreading Christmas cheer. They have sung Christmas songs for the residents of Laugharne Court and Hazel Court and for the patients in Singleton Hospital. The choir sang beautifully and made us very proud of them, as always.

Y5 and 6 played rugby against Ysgol Llwynderw and were fierceless, well done to all members of the team. Fixtures have been organised against Pontlliw and Gowerton in the New Year. Look out for updates following the planned fixtures.

Y6 have undertaken yoga with Jane Thomas, a local yoga instructor. Big thanks to Mrs Thomas for leading the activity with the children.

Celebrations

We held our annual Christmas concerts throughout December this year. All the children were a credit to the school and their families, they sang, danced, chorally spoke, played musical instruments and acted fantastically. Thank you all for your kind donations on the door. This raised almost £1,000.00. We will be using the money, coupled with the money the children raised last year during the enterprise activities to buy playground equipment, following consultation with the children, regarding what they would like.

Staffing

Following a request from Estyn, governors agreed that I can go on secondment from January 8th until April 4th. The remit of my secondment will include undertaking inspections, working on the development of the new curriculum and working with the Organisation for Economic Development and Collaboration (OECD) on what makes an effective school. Miss Poole and Mrs Leahy, deputy head teachers will share the headteacher role until my return. Miss Rees who has been working in the Year 3 and 4 indie room will cover Miss Poole’s and Mrs Leahy’s absence and Miss Hall who worked in Parkland last year will assume the position in the indie room.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support and to wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy new year. I hope you have a very enjoyable break and look forward to seeing the children back in school on 7th January.